[OT] Aural versus ETD tuning training

Mon, 30 Dec 2002 07:55:20 -0800

Was that Ron's point?  I didn't read it that way.

David Love

----- Original Message -----=20
From: "Richard Brekne" <Richard.Brekne@grieg.uib.no>
To: "Pianotech" <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: December 30, 2002 7:24 AM
Subject: Re: [OT] Aural versus ETD tuning training

Certainly Ron N makes a valid point. Piano techs ofte times display the
same kind of lack of understanding about the instrument as pianists do.
The instrument is indeed complex and for that matter there are things
that apply to some instruments and not others. The pianists "knowledge"
of the instrument most often is not so much in the realm of technical
specifications as is ours. But I think its a mistake to undersestimate
what their own experience base represents.=20

I aggree that educating pianists to our perspectives is important.
Equally important however is learning to relate to the pianists point of
view. Communication is a two way street and it seems to me that our
responsibilities in this regard are no less then the pianists.

JMV

RicB

David Love wrote:
>=20
> I'm not sure of the reason.  Certainly, most pianists are capable of a =
basic
> understanding how the instrument works.  I think they would do =
themselves a
> favor by learning a bit, especially any serious player.  Some actually =
do
> make the attempt and are better off for it.  It puts them in a better
> position to communicate what they want out of the instrument and what =
they
> can expect.  I spend a fair amount of time educating my customers.  I =
don't
> mind, I think it helps my business in the long run.
>=20
> David Love
>=20
>=20