Customer question

Mon, 30 Dec 2002 20:07:04 +0100

Sherry, we've all seen this from time to time. Generally, its a good
idea to make sure as best you can that minor mechanical problems are put
in order as part of a tuning visit. Where the border goes as to how much
is enough is necessarilly a call you have to make then and there.

I find that if a piano is in need of significant work beyond what a
usual tuning and say 20 - 30 minutes of general service time can deal
with, then its a good idea to discuss the problem(s)with the customer
before even starting.

I try and always clearly define my service call ahead of time to any and
all new customers. I also make a point of letting them know when I am
doing a little something extra for "free" as it were. And if it comes to
it, I have no problem letting a customer know that I will not allow
myself to be exploited.

In your particular case.... if you noticed the sticky key while working
on the piano, and if there were no other real problems, then perhaps you
might have been best fixing it to begin with. Course the problem might
be intermittant, or popped up after your visit. Dont let yourself get
yanked around... but be as service minded as you can. Like I say tho...
its an individual call .

Cheers
RicB