Tuning too soon

Don pianotuna@accesscomm.ca
Tue, 31 Dec 2002 11:15:03

Hi Clyde,

I find that a DC unit takes a whole year to really stablize the soundboard.
In this unfortunate "no win" situation the piano will likely not be to
sharp in the tenor--unless you installed a bottom cover. It doesn't sound
as if you did--seeing as the instrument was so "sour".

In some institutions I have installed a little rechargeable flashight--one
that goes on when the power goes off. However I replace the bulb with a
buzzer--so if they unplug it will buzz til the battery dies (about 20
mins). It's amazing how fast they plug the instrument back in.

At 07:38 AM 12/31/2002 -0500, you wrote:
>Friends,
>
>Thirteen months ago I began servicing a 1996 Samick SG-185 grand in a church,
>and at the beginning of this year (it's still 2002!) installed a complete
>Dampp-Chaser system.  Since that time the piano has held the tunings quite
>well.  Except....
>
>They wanted it tuned before the Christmas Eve service.  When I arrived
December
>16, the piano was in the hallway and the Dampp-Chaser had been unplugged
for two
>weeks.  Like you, Don, I said it should have a month with the system on
for the
>tuning to hold, but the Christmas Eve service was only eight days away.
>
>They promised to return the piano to its normal position and get the system
>plugged in promptly.  I rescheduled the tuning for the morning of December
24.
>When I arrived on the 24th the piano was up to 13 cents flat and sounding
more
>sour than it ever has since I installed Dampp-Chaser.
>
>Does the piano need a month to stabilize after a DC system is installed?  I
>would say yes.  The next time I tune this piano it will be March, which
can be
>one of the driest months.  Nevertheless I expect to find the tenor sharp
and the
>piano sounding pretty bad.
>
>Regards,
>Clyde Hollinger, RPT