Thanks from a pianist

Larry E McFatter mcfatter@csusb.edu
Fri, 1 Feb 2002 14:08:24 -0800

A little over a gear ago I sent a message to the list asking for your
advice on what action components and new hammers should go into the
rebuilding of the action on my (mostly renovated) c.1918 Mason & Hamlin A
piano. In that message I described the tone and touch characteristics that
I hoped to achieve as a final result. I want to thank the many technicians
and pianists from around the world who took the time to write back to me
with excellent, detailed suggestions and advice. From that exchange a
direction emerged that seemed like it might lead to what I wanted from the
piano. I discussed your messages with my piano technician, Bill Shull
(http://shullpiano.com/), and we made a plan to proceed.

The work on the piano has just been finished. It is now a superb instrument
that is truly "better than new" because it combines the best of three
worlds:

1. The remarkable resonance of a vintage M & H piano;
2. The rich tonal palette of New York Steinway hammers;
3. The wonderful control and even touch possible with Precision TouchDesign
by David Stanwood.

Kudos and my enthusiastic thanks to those who did the renovation work:

1. Bill Shull in consultation with David Stanwood (action rebuilding and
hammer installation/voicing, Precision TouchDesign);
2. Brian Alexander of KeyOne Piano Service in Los Angeles (case and
soundboard refinishing, pin block and string replacement, etc.).

Larry McFatter, DMA
California State University, San Bernardino