more refinishing questions...

Sat, 2 Feb 2002 08:22:08 -0500

Hi Jay -

For question 1, the answer is no, lacquer is not a finish that is
suitable to be "rubbed on".  There ARE specially formulated brushing
lacquers, but you will need a very good brushing technique to apply this
successfully.  Practice on some test panels before undertaking a piano.

I would highly suggest you check out the following books for great
information on woodfinishing in general:
1.  "Understanding Wood Finishing", by Bob Flexner, the 'bible' of
refinishing books, and
2.  "The Woodfinishing Book" by Michael Dresdner.  Very good, too.

For info only on lower tech finishing (no spray equipment), try:
"Hand-Applied Finishes" by Jeff Jewitt.

For question #2, others may differ in opinion, but I find it hard to
believe that the choice of finishing material for the case of a piano
will affect the sound of that piano in any measurable way.

Mark Potter
bases-loaded@juno.com