tool

Maxpiano@AOL.COM Maxpiano@AOL.COM
Sat, 2 Feb 2002 08:13:38 EST

In a message dated 2/1/02 11:52:27 AM Eastern Standard Time,
imatunr@srvinet.com writes:

> Removal of plastic elbows can be a little difficult when the plastic at the
> center pin
> is not as brittle as the elbow where it usually breaks.

My last elbow job was like this.  Despite having had to replace an elbow or
two every year when tuning this piano, I found most elbows very un-brittle.

After some frustration I tried 1) cutting the offending (non-breaking) elbows
off with cut-nippers, and 2) melting the remaining plastic down to the center
pin with my key bushing removal tool.  It worked.  Not knowing if the fumes
were dangerous to my health, I opened the shop door and placed a box fan on
the end of my workbench to blow the smoke out the door.

Bill Maxim
Maxim Piano Service
212 Newpark Place
Columbia, SC 29212-8666