Springs for the soundboard

Sun, 3 Feb 2002 20:55:47 -0800

  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Richard Brekne=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: February 03, 2002 1:00 PM
  Subject: Re: Springs for the soundboard

  David Love wrote:=20
     In short, is it worth looking into, or does it simply not work? =
David Love

  I would say its definatly worth looking into. But I think most will =
agree this is not on the surface of it something one does for a very =
high quality instrument.  On the other hand, the concept seems quite =
workable enough, useing a couple different spring types. Del mentioned a =
bit about some fooling around with some heavy duty valve springs, and =
there was some talk about leaf springs that seemed reasonable enough.=20

Why not toss in the possibility of wooden 'springs.' I.e., a spring of =
wood in the form of a bent wooden beam (like a rib) fastened at the two =
ends and bent in the middle with a coupler going to the soundboard in =
whatever are deemed appropriate spots.=20

No, I've not tried it--just thought about it.

Del