Piano acoustics

Richard Moody remoody@midstatesd.net
Mon, 4 Feb 2002 00:27:15 -0600

----- Original Message -----
From: Ron Nossaman <RNossaman@KSCABLE.com>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Saturday, February 02, 2002 10:50 AM
Subject: Re: Piano acoustics

| So,  does the SB somehow
| >reproduce the frequency of the string's partials (inharmonicity), or
does
| >the SB vibrating in modes with its own stiffness determine (more or
less)
| >the  inharmonicity of the piano?   ---ric
|
| Comparing partial strengths and frequencies between samplings taken
| directly from the string with a magnetic pickup,

    | Ron N

Yes! but I thought what if the inharmonicity of a vibrating piano wire is
different than when connected to a bridge and piano soundboard?  Of course
that could be an experiment also.  I will supply the piano without the
soundboard.   Also I would like to see experiments on piano wire clamped
between two huge steel blocks with lengths appropriate to piano speaking
lengths to see if the vibration (esp the partials is different).  These
experiments might
determine if the soundboard affects inharmonicity.   And BTW (by the way) I
would like to see the inharmonicity experiments repeated or have references
to what has been published in this subject if anyone on the list is up on
the Acoustical Society literature.      ---ric