Sound waves(The behavior of soundboards)

Robin Hufford hufford1@airmail.net
Mon, 04 Feb 2002 02:47:33 -0800

Richard,
     The incidence meter does in fact show motion vertically, notwithstanding the claim
otherwise, which is among a number of specious comments made regarding it recently.  I
urge all that have a real interest in evaluating this question fairly, to acquire one,
play around with it and see for themselves the discontinuity between the response at
the bridge to vibrating strings and those same strings subject to a static
deflection.   The device is  inexpensive.  The inability of the soundboard system to
respond to a static deflection on the strings which is much greater than that purported
to be imposed on it by the vibrating strings should be correctly and fairly analyzed as
to its implications.  They are substantial and must, I think, directly weaken the
accuracy of the cyclic pressure view.  Should one be able to clearly show that there is
a substantial discrepancy in these two behaviors then the suggestion must, at least,
exist that the cyclic pressure view is flawed.  This device shows this plainly the
discontinuity of the two responses.  Of course,  I do not expect a fair treatment from
some as regards this device even though it can be most useful.  Some, who cannot refute
the message prefer instead to attempt to discredit the messenger, which is a
transparent ploy and a very poor method of argument indeed.
     We see now another  distinctive notion of high school physics - the new, momentous
and trivial distinction between deflection and rocking.  Were the bridge rocking then
some part of it must be experiencing deflection - a point so superficial that I will
waste no further time on it.
     It has been complained of that I have offered no references to these subjects, or
that the ones offered have been rudimentary.  This, notwithstanding the fact that I
have offered more, I think, by far than the contrary camp have taken the trouble to
submit.  Where the quotes have been taken from a relatively rudimentary text this was
noted by myself.  Such note was avidly seized upon and great commentary repeatedly made
as to this aspect.  The quotes which were from more advanced  sources have been
ignored and continued to be so treated, evidently they represent points either not
comprehended or  inconveniently contrary to the views of the other camp.   Den Hartog
is obviously too rudimentary to be given any  credence:  he was merely the Professor of
Physics at M.I.T. for some years and is a prominent author of  numerous, well written
books on various aspects of mechanics, including the one I quoted which addresses
vibration analysis. Elmore and Heald were from the physics department of Swarthmore.
Their book, although highly technical, is, again, apparently insufficiently advanced
for the high school physicists to take note of although I can say for certain that it
is far more advanced than the text I enjoyed in my high school physics classes.  It is
readily apparent that some understand but little that which the rudimentary texts
address and dismiss at the same time the more advanced ones as being too rudimentary to
take notice of.  More on this latter.
Regards, Robin Hufford