Springs for the soundboard

Mon, 4 Feb 2002 00:55:54 -0800

Well I'm just starting to revue the archives and I notice that everyone =
is talking about pushing up from the bottom.  But if the idea is to add =
tension to the board and the board is already under downward pressure =
from the strings, isn't pushing up from the bottom taking pressure off =
the board by neutralizing the downward force applied by the strings?  =20

At any rate, it seems that whatever the system it should be adjustable, =
something you could ratchet up or down.  To precalculate the actual =
amount of additional pressure needed would be difficult, so a system =
which allowed you to increase or decrease pressure and listen to the =
results would make the most sense to me.

David Love
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Delwin D Fandrich=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: February 03, 2002 8:55 PM
  Subject: Re: Springs for the soundboard

    ----- Original Message -----=20
    From: Richard Brekne=20
    To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
    Sent: February 03, 2002 1:00 PM

    David Love wrote:=20
       In short, is it worth looking into, or does it simply not work? =
David Love

    I would say its definatly worth looking into. But I think most will =
agree this is not on the surface of it something one does for a very =
high quality instrument.  On the other hand, the concept seems quite =
workable enough, useing a couple different spring types. Del mentioned a =
bit about some fooling around with some heavy duty valve springs, and =
there was some talk about leaf springs that seemed reasonable enough.=20

  =20

  Why not toss in the possibility of wooden 'springs.' I.e., a spring of =
wood in the form of a bent wooden beam (like a rib) fastened at the two =
ends and bent in the middle with a coupler going to the soundboard in =
whatever are deemed appropriate spots.=20

  No, I've not tried it--just thought about it.=20

  Del=20