Moving Piano Up Stairs(not another pun....-)

PNHISTIC1@AOL.COM PNHISTIC1@AOL.COM
Mon, 4 Feb 2002 10:33:02 EST

In a message dated 2/3/02 5:41:49 PM, mortier@netreach.net writes:

<< I heard of one trick for moving a piano up steps involving a wooden box.
I'm not too clear on it, though. I think it's a small box onto which you
slide the piano and pivot it on the box to negotiate the top landing. Anybody
know the details?

Philip Jamison Pianos

West Chester, PA >>

Philip,

You still need two guys, not necessarily Green Bay Packer:  one on the top
for balancing and pulling, one on the bottom for the heavier lifting.  I've
used this method many times, having been a tuner/mover/salesman in a small
store for several years.  What you need is a rectangular box constructed of 2
pieces of 3/4x16X24 plywood for the faces, 2 pieces of 2x6x18, 2 pieces of
2x6x24.  It is helpful to jigsaw hand holds into either or both long sides of
the box.  What you have created is a platform that is the height of 1, 2, or
3 normal sized steps, depending on which side you place the box in.  It is
important that it is very flat, as you will be balancing pianos on it.

Step by step(no pun intended) instructions:

1.  You put the piano on its end on the dolly(hopefully, it has rubber pads
so that it will have some friction on the side of the piano).
2.  Double up a moving blanket lengthwise and lay it up the steps, beginning
from the edge of the first step
3.  Wheel the piano up to the flight of stairs while on its end.
4.  If the piano is a console, studio or spinet, wheelie the edge of it up to
the second step.
5.  Tip the piano forward, using the edge on the step as a pivot point.  The
top guy needs to pull the piano forward and hold the balance.
6.  Remove the dolly, replace with box standing up on it's end, covered with
doubled over moving blanket.
7.  Tip the side of the piano onto the box(should hit it at a 35% angle or
so) while holding the box with knee.
8.  Tip upstairs side of piano up so that the side of the piano is level with
the box and the next step.
9.  Slide piano forward onto padded step.
10.  Repeat process, and have the lower man move the pad up as he goes.
Eventually, the upper guy will remove the pad and drag it up to the next
level while the lower guy balances the piano on his knee and the box.
11.  Once you've reached the top step, instead of tipping the piano forward,
you can just slide it around the corner or put it directly onto a dolly
spanning from the top step to the landing.

It's one of those things that I wouldn't recommend trying without seeing
someone else do it first, but it IS a great way to get pianos up stairs with
far less effort than skidboards, dollys, ropes, and lifting.

Potential pitfalls are:  Large uprights that weigh a ton; pianos with sides
that aren't flat and keep wanting to tip over(need a third guy just to
prevent that); pianos that have a shelved side that causes the box to tip
forward with every slide; pianos that don't have smooth finishes.

Make sure your pads are clean.  And you don't need pads on the stairs if
there is carpet(unless the carpet is white).

In short, don't try this at home unless you're already somewhat experienced
at moving pianos.  HIring a piano mover is a lot cheaper than hiring an
orthopedic surgeon, or even a chirpracter.

If you need more details, I'll send them along to you.

WARNING:  WAR STORY!!

I once delivered an Acrosonic with a shelved side to San Francisco--a 40 mile
drive from the Palo Alto store.  The house was on a steep hill, which in made
just getting the piano off the truck a pain in the butt.  12 steps up from
the street, and around 30 steps with a 180 degree turn about halfway up(and
pie-piece shaped steps in the turn with very small surface areas to rest
pianos) later, the customer said, "that's not the piano I ordered."  Needless
to say, when I got back to the store, I chewed the salesman a new one for not
putting a serial number on the order.  I had taken the only Acrosonic I saw
with a "sold" sign on it.  OUch.  That's one way to learn how to ask more
questions......

Enough of the war stories!

Good luck,

Dave Stahl