Springs for the soundboard

Mon, 4 Feb 2002 09:11:51 -0800

  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: David Love=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: February 04, 2002 12:55 AM
  Subject: Re: Springs for the soundboard

  Well I'm just starting to revue the archives and I notice that =
everyone is talking about pushing up from the bottom.  But if the idea =
is to add tension to the board and the board is already under downward =
pressure from the strings, isn't pushing up from the bottom taking =
pressure off the board by neutralizing the downward force applied by the =
strings?  =20

  At any rate, it seems that whatever the system it should be =
adjustable, something you could ratchet up or down.  To precalculate the =
actual amount of additional pressure needed would be difficult, so a =
system which allowed you to increase or decrease pressure and listen to =
the results would make the most sense to me.

  David Love

Conceivably a spring could be positioned either above or below the =
soundboard panel. Since most of the discussion to date has involved =
pianos with collapsed--or collapsing--soundboards, not much thought has =
been given to helping them along with this process. The string load =
seems to take care of the downforce requirements all by itself. The idea =
of the springs has been to either slow down or, perhaps, even reverse =
the collapsing process. Consequently most, if not all, of the work done =
in this area has involved placing the spring(s) below (or behind) the =
panel.

Again, much has been written on the subject. Check it out.

Del