Springs for the soundboard

Jon Page jonpage@mediaone.net
Mon, 04 Feb 2002 12:21:06 -0500

At 08:55 PM 2/3/2002 -0800, you wrote:
>I would say its definatly worth looking into. But I think most will agree
>this is not on the surface of it something one does for a very high
>quality instrument.  On the other hand, the concept seems quite workable
>enough, useing a couple different spring types. Del mentioned a bit about
>some fooling around with some heavy duty valve springs, and there was some
>talk about leaf springs that seemed reasonable enough.
>Why not toss in the possibility of wooden 'springs.' I.e., a spring of
>wood in the form of a bent wooden beam (like a rib) fastened at the two
>ends and bent in the middle with a coupler going to the soundboard in
>whatever are deemed appropriate spots.
>No, I've not tried it--just thought about it.
>Del

I have this arrangement on a rebuilt S&S. The replaced board is lacking in
many areas.

In the middle of the killer octave I stacked two slats of wood (from the
Renner USA shanks box)
and placed them across two beams. A length of dowel between the board and
the slats causes the
slats to act as a leaf spring.  I think it helps a little, no more
complaints anyway.  I'll take it out next tuning
for a comparison.  The top end of the bass bridge needs a weight attached
under the board too.

It just goes to show that it's not what you buy, it's where you buy it.

Regards,

Jon Page,   piano technician
Harwich Port, Cape Cod, Mass.
mailto:jonpage@mediaone.net