Broadwood pics/ Richard

Tue, 05 Feb 2002 21:17:20 +0100

Joseph Garrett wrote:

> Richard,
> You mentioned cracks in the keybed. This is usually an indication of "Cheek
> Lift". I'd advise double checking this situation, before you proceed. If it
> does have it, scaling could help, but not much. As for "crown", etc., there
> generally isn't much, (I suspect there never was). I've found it doesn't
> matter on these.

Hey there Joe, thanks for the tip on the crown. I kind of suspected as much,
and anticipated that minimal (as in just barely) downbearing was probably also
the right recipie here.

Scaling isnt going to be a part of the picture as they want this as close as to
the origional as possible... so I have this balance to play ... how to make it
as functional as possible at the same time as holding it as origional as
possible.

Cheek Lift.... now theres a new term for me.. Would you mind expounding a bit ?
There are three really deep cracks and fairly wide cracks.. I can get pictures
if you want. I had anticipated in filling with an epoxy sawdust mix and sanding
flat.  You have some wise words for me ? :)

Also, I noticed today that the back side of the bridge is pulled up from the
panel. There are lots of soundboard buttons that screw into the bridge and they
are a bit loose. Problem here is that a couple key ones under the worst part of
the bass bridge are inaccessible unless I remove the entire pannel. I was
thinking of drilling a small hole through the bridge and running a bit of piano
wire through to fashion a clamp to pull it all together again after filling the
gap with wood glue. But if I have to I suppose I can loosen the panel and get
it out. Looks like the hardest part would be the left side where it buries into
the caseing somewhat.  Suggestions ?

Thanks for the good words of encouragement and advice :)

So,,.... who were you pulling for... New England or the LA (who moved
somewhere) Rams. ?

> Joe Garrett, RPT, (Oregon)

RicB

--