make it heavier

Wed, 06 Feb 2002 22:28:34 +0100

Wimblees@aol.com wrote:

> I just got done regulating a Steinway O, (1930's vintage). It has new
> h.s.f., keys rebushed, etc. But the down weight is less than 40 g. One
> piano major has already complained
>
> I should probably know this, but how do I make the action heavier?
>
> Wim

Perhaps the easiest way is to put some lead into the hammers. You can
buy the right stuff from Pianotek I believe, and bore into the hammer
moulding just forward of the shank.  1 gram will take two holes and add
5-6 grams weight to the touch. At the same time you can even out Strike
Weights really nicely.

Otherwise you can get into checking leverage, Front Weights and the
like. Actually Wim, you can wow em big time with simply finding and
setting FW and SW curves that work with the existing leverage and give
you an acceptable touchweight. I find time and time again that a quick
and not so very dirty solution is to set SW's to the curve that
seperates High and Medium Zones, and use the guide to maximum FW,s  as a
basic template.  Leverage normally good enough on decent pianos that
this works well. And if you want to get more into it later on, it still
serves as a good starting point so probably wont be causeing yourself
any extra work later on.

If you dont have one, buy the Stanwood Touchweight design kit.... great
investment.

MHOYU:)
--
Richard Brekne