The 'creak' that won't go away

Clyde Hollinger cedel@supernet.com
Wed, 06 Feb 2002 20:00:20 -0500

Phil,

First of all, I assume we are talking about a creak.  A creek is a stream
smaller than a river.

One possibility is loose bottom board screws (the board on which the trapwork is
mounted).  A second is movement between one or more of the action support bolts
and the action brackets resting on them.  A third is movement of a case part
when the sustain pedal is engaged (or, in this case, disengaged).  I once found
the pedal rail (bottom rail) making a creak, and a couple times the bottom panel
against the sides.  But I doubt if it was the bottom panel on a piano this old.
It's more of a problem on pianos with polyester finishes.

Regards,
Clyde