The 'creak' that won't go away

Phil Bondi tito@PhilBondi.com
Wed, 6 Feb 2002 20:59:01 -0500

Clyde said:

> First of all, I assume we are talking about a creak.  A creek is a stream
> smaller than a river.

creak..creek..kreak..yea, my bad...

> One possibility is loose bottom board screws (the board on which the
trapwork is
> mounted).

no..a logical choice though..but still..why only when the pedal dis-engages?

>A second is movement between one or more of the action support bolts
> and the action brackets resting on them.

..my God, you're so close..

>A third is movement of a case part
> when the sustain pedal is engaged (or, in this case, disengaged).

..you're white hot now!!

OK..you're so close that I have to award you the Anti-Rook Award!

Way to go Clyde..what I found was that the key bed has a crack in it on the
treble side on the bottom of the bed. When I hold the keybed with one hand
and work the pedal with the other, the cre(a)k goes away..when I stand at
the piano and depress the pedal, the cre(a)k re-appears.

Now that you have correctly identified the culprit, can you tell me why this
noise only appears as the pedal goes back to its rest position and not when
it is engaged, or even held down?..it ONLY happens when the pedal is on its
way back to rest.

A real head scratcher for me.

Phil