Most Recent Broadwood Pics/Richard

Thu, 07 Feb 2002 08:57:32 +0100

Joseph Garrett wrote:

> Wow, they obviously didn't want that soundboard to vibrate! Built like a
> KNABE case! Suspect it won't be much over a whisper, even with new strings
> on it. But, then, who knows, maybe they got good projection out of it, due
> to the mass.(?)
> It will be interesting to follow this to the ultimate conclusion. It might
> even open some eyes. [G]
> Regards,
> Joe Garrett, RPT, (Oregon)

Well, The panel itself is very thin. Perhaps as thin as 4 mm ? I will measure
it today. I remember seeing a few overdamper pianos built with like 2-3 times
as many ribs as we normally use today. These were sort of triangle shaped
rims...ie good stiffness with minimum mass. The panels on these were also
thiner. Not the greatest sound, but that probably had more to do with scale
issues.

This one is probabably pretty free to move. It has quite an active  natural
resonance at any rate.  Tho with really low tensions on the strings (compared
to todays) and dinky little hammers... It wasnt meant to create the 130 db
level for sure :)

I have lots of time on my hands for this project... deadline round October. So
I will you posted as it developes.

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.