make it heavier

jolly roger baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca
Thu, 07 Feb 2002 18:36:48 -0600

>I've never heard of adding weights to the hammers!  The more of the
>lousy lead you can get rid of the better, for the reasons Roger gives.
>
>JD

Greetings John,
                          Adding weight to the hammer or shank, will increase
the strike weight, and will have a great effect on tone quality.  As general
statement, strike weight goes up, so will the power.

Now Ric, some one asking how to correct touch weight, after changing a set of
hammers, is hardly going to have all the tools to do a complete touch weight
analysis.   So it is reasonable to assume, all that is availiable to the tech
is a generic set of weights.  Thats why I advised removal of key lead.   Most
of the old Steinway's had way too many.

With the old model O's, I would also advise, removing the wippens, cleaning
the
repition spring slots, and springs. It never ceases to amaze me how much it
narrows the DW-UW spread, as well as evening out the friction numbers.

Regards Roger