make it heavier

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Fri, 8 Feb 2002 09:28:58 EST

baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca writes:

Thanks to all who responded to my inquiry. I need to point out that I did not
replace the hammers shanks and flanges. That was done by my predecessor about
5 years ago. Several things about that. First of all, they are not Steinway
parts. Second, I had to rehang all the hammers, because it was a very poor
job of hanging in the first place. Third, after I had them all hung
correctly, I had to take them all off again the shape the tails. Roger
suggested, > With the old model O's, I would also advise, removing the
> wippens, cleaning the repition spring slots, and springs. It never ceases
> to amaze me how much it narrows the DW-UW spread, as well as evening out
> the friction numbers.
>
> Regards Roger

I did that too. As a matter of fact, I do this on all action reconditioning.
What I have not done yet is check the key lead situation.

One thing you have to understand is that this is a practice room piano, so
fixing the problem is not a priority. I might not be able to get to it until
this summer. And I only had one student complain. When I went in to tune the
piano yesterday, the student I kicked out of the room told me it was the only
piano she likes to play on, now that I have fixed it. So go figure.

Wim