Knuckle Removal was Action too big

John Delacour JD@Pianomaker.co.uk
Fri, 8 Feb 2002 23:12:38 +0000

At 3:51 PM -0500 8/2/02, Marcel Carey wrote:
>There is a special pair of pliers one can use to remove knuckles.
>They look like big cutters and they work just fine. The way their
>blades work is that they litterally pull the knuckle out ot it's
>groove. Fast and easy.

About the first tool I ever bought when I started action work in 1973
was a pair of 6" end cutters with an almost perfect 3/8" circular
hole between the jaws.  I very slowly and carefully ground down the
jaws and filed up form the hole to make my first pair of
flush-cutting centre pin nippers.  I still use these exclusively for
all centring and they are beautiful.  Not only are they perfect for
centring, you'd think they'd been made for removing rollers (Am.
knuckles).  One squeeze and the roller is out of the shank without
the slightest damage to the shank.

Most high leverage end cutters (I have a nice pair of old English
ones and an American pair) don't have this perfectly sized hole, but
it is quite easy to file the heart-shaped hole down in the direction
of the handles to make the hole round.  The jaws can then be ground
flat on top.

A good pair of end cutters is not cheap, but I get almost all my
tools from junk shops and second-hand tool stores and adapt them to
my needs.  A suitable pair for modification should cost anything from
$0 to $1.  Even an ordinary pair of pincers could be adapted to do
the job.

If they published my pictures of broaches in the Journal a couple of
months back, you'll see my nippers there.

Anyone interested enough to download *3 megabytes* of tiff files can
get the pictures at:
<http://www.eremita.demon.co.uk/images/broaches.zip>

JD