Weber action too big

Tom Servinsky tompiano@gate.net
Fri, 8 Feb 2002 19:04:51 -0500

  .=20

  Last night I inspected a 10 year old Weber grand where the hammers are =
blocking on the strings. I tried to remove the action, but the drop =
screws are hitting the pin block. I was afraid if I pulled to hard to =
get it free, it would peel back the polyester of the stretcher.=20

  Except for the low bass, there was actually lost motion between the =
keys and the wippens. That is why I tried to remove the action. If I =
recall, there was some talk earlier about Young Chang action brackets =
"growing." I looked at them, but could not see anything unusually. They =
are light blue.=20

  I didn't have my tuning kit with me, so I couldn't lower the glide =
bolts to see if that would help. But I don't think that is the problem. =
Structurally I couldn't see anything wrong.=20

  Anyone with a solution.=20

  Wim=20

  Wim,
  I just did one recently with the same extent of expansion you are =
experiencing. It is 100%, absolutely, the case of expanding action =
brackets growing upwards, extending the height the action frame to the =
stretcher area. Which explains the gross lost motion.
  You are on the right path with the idea of  lowering the glide bolts. =
In fact if that doesn't create enough clearance to get the action out  =
Young Change suggest you take a hack saw and cut the action brackets =
apart, which is what I ended up doing. Actually I used a Dremel tool =
with a cut-off carbide disc and it did the job quickly.
  Also note that even though this is a Young Change piano , the warranty =
work still has to go through  Weber.
  One last item when ordering the new brackets take note that there are =
2 different sizes ( height wise). You basically take a crap shoot  and =
hope you get the right ones. Otherwise, more down time for the customer.
  The manufacturer will sometimes cover the complete regulation job, at =
least they did with us on several that we corrected.
  Tom Servinsky,RPT=20