New life for knuckles

Robert Goodale rrg@unlv.edu
Fri, 08 Feb 2002 19:07:53 -0800

Alan Meyer and I install a lot of PianoDisc systems, probably 40-50 a
year.  Recently we got a Boston in for a system.  It belongs to an
exclusive golf country club facility.  The piano showed signs of heavy
use but was generally in good shape.  With the player system installed
and adjusted we proceeded to play a disk with some fast hard playing
music that we use for testing and breaking in.  In this particular case
the notes were repeating very badly and seemed sluggish.  Other than
needing some modest hammer reshaping the action appeared to be in
reasonable regulation.

I took a looksee at the knuckles and noticed they were pretty flat.  We
decided to try and bolster them up by weaving yarn through the felt.
 This of course isn't exactly a new concept but I hadn't personally
tried it.  After this the regulation of the whole action had of course
changed so I ran through it and did a quickie regulation job.  Amazing!
 The action repeated fast as lightning and the player worked perfectly!

The moral of the story:  Jack be knuckle, Jack be quick!  Yarn make jack
on let-off slip!

Rob Goodale, RPT
Las Vegas, NV