Louis Zwicki piano

Joseph Garrett joegarrett@earthlink.net
Fri, 8 Feb 2002 19:40:39 -0800

First of all, to those who responded to my inquiry about the Zwicki
piano....THANKS! I tuned and repaired it today. It is a 1955 spinet, with 82
keys, (3 keys left off of either end). The tuning pins are, indeed VERTICAL!
(i.e. on TOP of the Pin Block!). The wire bears on the wide, molded plate
top and travels down to the "V" bar. Thank god I tune Square Grands, as the
technique required to tune this little beast, is pretty much the same! I
would put the level of difficulty right up there with square grands and Olde
Chickerings with very wide strips of underfelt! 3 1/2 hours later, it was in
tune! After the few repairs needed, I played on it a bit. It's sound is
quite nice for a small piano. (The low bass is still lacking) The action is
positive and feels nice for a "drop action"!
Just thought I'd give you all a little heads up. This piano is not for the
faint of heart or newbies!
Best Regards,
Joe Garrett, RPT, (Oregon)