Weber action too big

Allan L. Gilreath, RPT agilreath@mindspring.com
Fri, 8 Feb 2002 23:13:51 -0500

Keith,

You're right, the Knuckle Buster is the way to go.  I find that it works far
better though with a little auxiliary table that I made for the drill press
table.  It's a simple enough affair to hold the shank in the same position
each time and brace the front so the knuckle buster can shear off the old
knuckle.  All in all this makes a clean, neat job.

When installing new knuckles, a small concave caul with a shank chucked in
the drill press chuck (with the press turned off of course <grin>) is
wonderful for pressing the new knuckle straight into the kerf.

Allan
Allan L. Gilreath, RPT
agilreath@mindspring.com

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-pianotech@ptg.org [mailto:owner-pianotech@ptg.org]On Behalf
Of kam544@flash.net
Sent: Friday, February 08, 2002 5:35 PM
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Subject: Re: Weber action too big

>...I've never replaced a set of knuckles before, though, and haven't yet
>found any articles talking about the procedure - any advice out there?...
>Mary Bailey

>    There  is a special pair of pliers one can use to remove knuckles.
>They look like big  cutters and they work just fine.
>The way their blades work is that they  litterally pull the
>knuckle out ot it's groove. Fast and  easy.   Marcel  Carey...

Mary, Marcel, List,

>From my experience using those type pliers, hammers shanks can break in the
process if the knuckles are not totally cooperative.

The best tool I have used thus far is one made by Glen Hart of Hart's Piano
Shop in Colorado, USA.  It's called the Hart Knuckle Buster.  Much safer
then the razor blade.  Very effective.

	970-434-5558
	hartpiano@aol.com

Good luck,