concert tuning procedure @ intermission

Sun, 10 Feb 2002 08:31:32 -0800

I find that if you tune the note with near test blow level, rather than =
tune soft then test hard, the piano will achieve much greater stability. =
=20

David Love
    I approach this problem in two ways using the False Beat Eliminator =
only as a last resort.  When a string just won't settle, I pull it sharp =
by an amount that would ordinarily be way too much such as 10-30 cents.  =
A hard, sharp blow brings it down instantly.  Sometimes, further hard =
and sharp blows bring it once again way flat.  I may try pulling sharp =
again, maybe a little more.  When this just does not work, I pull the =
string a little sharp, then give a good and quick jab with the False =
Beat Eliminator.  This will usually cause the string to go very flat, as =
much as 50 cents or more but when it is pulled up again, it will stay =
put.=20

    Sometimes, it takes more than one attempt.  The important thing to =
consider when using such a tool is damage to both the string and the =
bridge.  You can break a string or induce false beats into it by =
distorting the string with too much force.  The bridge is made of wood, =
so too much force can crush the material.=20