To Bill Bremmer

Billbrpt@AOL.COM Billbrpt@AOL.COM
Mon, 11 Feb 2002 09:22:03 EST

In a message dated 2/11/02 7:51:44 AM Central Standard Time,
pianotoo@imap2.asu.edu (Jim Coleman, Sr.) writes:

> Hi Bill
>
> I know I'm not your boss, but why don't you get off the ego thing and
> just stick to writing the positive things you do so well.
>
> We've had this converstion before.
>
> Ed Foote has done more for HT awareness than anyone else I know. You did
> your best within the last year when you explained in detail how you do
> the EBVT. You won a few converts. That's a good thing.
>
> .

All right, Jim, thank you and enough said.  I've used the 1/7 Comma Meantone
for some 8 years and wouldn't change the criteria for choosing it based upon
what any one or a small number of people have said.  Mr. Farley uses it
almost exclusively and has made many CD's with it.

Instead, I'll concentrate on what I'm setting out to do today and that is to
tune two pianos together for a recording in a new, state of the art studio
here.  I've not previously had the kind of opportunity to make a good
recording because that kind of industry is quite small here but it is
growing.  There is a brand new center for the arts being built which will
feature a huge concert hall that will open in 2004.

The subject of tuning two pianos together will be an issue for me today.  One
is a Yamaha C7 and the other, I think will be a Kawai of similar size.  In
the discussions about this which have come up in the past, some people
suggest tuning one piano the best possible, then the other to it, some
suggest averaging the two and others suggest tuning each piano to itself as
best possible.  The latter is what I would usually do and what I will do this
time.

I'll again have an opportunity to make another recording next month, also
using the EBVT.  Rather than being just another mild temperament, the goal of
my approach is to produce the cleanest, clearest, most harmonious, in tune
with itself piano possible.  In contrast to the usual ordinary tunings I do
every day which usually take less than an hour, I may spend 3-4 hours or more
on each of these working them up.

In my view and from my experience, that is what it takes to create that
"stunning" sound that people have been talking about.  The reason why it
takes so much time is that I do take the time to listen very carefully to
each and every choice that is made along the way and enjoy the results of it
before moving on.  People who may be listening to the process often say that
it sounds like music itself.  I also test and retest repeatedly to make sure
of rock solid stability and have the most beatless unisons possible.  The
idea of having a "fluid" unison would disturb the relationship I have set up
among the other intervals including the octaves.

It's time to go!

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin