All Slip and No Grip

Mike and Jane Spalding mjbkspal@execpc.com
Mon, 11 Feb 2002 10:20:53 -0600

Hi Z!

About a year ago I re-pinned a new Samick-built Hyundai 6'10" grand, which had very weak pins.  I attributed the problem to pins whose threads were nickel plated.  Also, the threads seemed smooth and poorly defined, as if maybe they were formed by rolling rather than being lathe cut.  The dealer, and the importer (North American Music) were very supportive.  This was discovered and fixed at the dealer's showroom, not in a customer's home.  New blued pins were purchased from a supply house, not from Samick or Hyndai.

Mike

----- Original Message -----
From: Z! Reinhardt <diskladame@provide.net>
To: Pianotech <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Sunday, February 10, 2002 10:54 AM
Subject: All Slip and No Grip

Is the weak pinblock problem still a common occurrence in new Samick-made pianos?  There was a time a few years ago when Samick quickly sent oversized pins to any dealer reporting loose tuning pins on one of their fine pianos.

Hi Everyone!

Recently I had that enlightening experience of tuning a brand new Kohler & Campbell KIG-47 that had a pinblock so weak that it was difficult to set the pins.  Sorry, I didn't take any readings this time around, as I didn't want to alarm the customers until I've had a chance to talk with the dealer and possibly the manufacturer.  (The customers were intrigued by the tuning process and watched over my shoulder the whole time.)  My guess is that the torque readings would have been about 20 in/lbs or less, right on the edge of not holding at all.

[Now for a little steam discharge ...]  This piano was from a theoretically reputable dealer.  The dealer promises that all pianos are pre-tuned before delivery.  So why wasn't the loose pin problem reported to the dealer ... and/or why didn't the dealer do anything to correct the situation before delivery?  Yes, the dealer received a written report from me about the condition of this piano with the bill ... and I hope they are sufficiently embarrassed about the problems being found after the delivery.

Has anyone dealt with Samick on warranty issues lately?  Is there anyone there known to be responsive to the concerns of the field technicians?  I've not had any luck with them since Dean Garten left.

Z! Reinhardt  RPT
Ann Arbor  MI
diskladame@provide.net