Junk Pianos

Brian Trout grandrestorations@yahoo.com
Mon, 11 Feb 2002 07:52:22 -0800 (PST)

Please forgive my alternate view.

Actually, I rather like pianos that are dead and
decomposing as rebuild candidates.

When I run into pianos that are still "nice" but
mostly worn out, the general line of thinking is
usually trying to minimize what gets done to
resurrect it.

When I run into something that's "gone", and
there's nothing left of the original to
resurrect, that's when I feel I can do the most.

There are some exceptions, though, at least for
me.  I don't want one with a broken plate.  I
don't want one with MAJOR case damage, and by
that I mean serious delamination such as one that
had been soaked with water.

Most of the rest, I can build, maybe better than
was ever there from new.

Is it practical?  Maybe, but probably not.  If it
says "Steinway" on it, then it might very well be
worthwhile financially.  (I have one right now
that's not much better than Stephen's picture
that does say "Steinway" on it.  It will get most
everything it can get.  And I suspect that
someone will want it when it's done and be
willing to pay for it too.

My two cents...  (and we all know how much $0.02
will buy ya!)

No offense intended.

Take care,

Brian T.

--- Z! Reinhardt <diskladame@provide.net> wrote:
> That piano looks more than just dead -- it's
> decomposing.  My first
> inclination is to say that practicing
> rebuilding skills on that would be
> like practicing surgical techniques on an
> animal that had been dead in the
> gutter for about a month.

=====
Brian Trout