Yamaha upright hammer spring thread

JCSwafford@AOL.COM JCSwafford@AOL.COM
Mon, 11 Feb 2002 22:12:09 EST

In a message dated 2/11/02 8:26:40 PM Central Standard Time,
kpiano@goldrush.com writes:

> I've seen older P-22s last forever.  The new ones seems to be constructed of
> lesser quality materials.  Any comments?  Does Yamaha sell this
> thread/cord/string by the spool?

This happens to every Yamaha that I have ever worked on that is older than
approximately 25 yo. I don't know why they can't use a material that will
stand the test of time and I agree the newer Yamahas of the P22 variety have
many more problems than the used to have (I won't list them now).

I buy the flanges w/ cords. I'm pretty sure I bought them from Schaff PS
about a year ago for abt $33 per set. At that price it's much more economical
on time to go this route. You simply loosen the flange clip screw to release
the flange - no repinning necessary. The job takes me abt 3 hrs total.

If you want to do each one individually I have found a special type of
fishing line (I found hard to find the last time I bought some) that is very
flexible and has a high test strength to be the best material to use. I'll
get the name of the manufacturer and email it to you tomorrow. It's not the
clear plastic type - it resembles sewing thread, but super strong.

If the piano is only 5-6 yo then it's still under warranty and you need to
call Yamaha Service dept. in CA to get an OK to do the work for them. I've
never seen one under 20 yo have this problem.