Junk Pianos

Kevin E. Ramsey ramsey@extremezone.com
Mon, 11 Feb 2002 20:34:36 -0700

Yeah, it got talked about ... it's a recurring topic.  I'd still like to =
see
a controlled implosion sequence that would cause the piano to fold up on
itself breaking itself up into pieces small enough to fit into standard
trashcans with a minimum of parts flying outward.  If we're going to go
through the effort of designing and building a catapult capable of =
flinging
a piano any great distance, I don't see why someone can't design the
implosion sequence that would use the overall string tension to do the
actual work.  Afterall, the definition of a controlled implosion of a
building is to deliberately bring about a planned structural failure =
with
gravity doing the work of bringing the building down.

Z! Reinhardt  RPT
witness of 2 planned implosions in Detroit
Ann Arbor  MI
diskladame@provide.net

    Unfortunately, a piano doesn't have the Weight, (or Mass if you =
wish) to be capable of the kind of implosion that you'd like to see, Z!. =
 I vote for the car compactor. I admit, it's a sad thing to have to =
condemn a piano. By all means, if the customer is willing to pay for the =
work to rebuild it, and someone has the time and patience to do so, then =
it should be rebuilt. But doing somersaults and half-measure fixes will =
only yield mediocre results.