Yamaha upright hammer spring thread

PNHISTIC1@AOL.COM PNHISTIC1@AOL.COM
Mon, 11 Feb 2002 23:07:52 EST

Thanks, John,

I appreciate the info.  I guess that's the weak link in the Japanese upright
spring mechanism.  I'd such a seemingly new one break before.

Dave

In a message dated 2/10/02 9:11:32 AM, jrpiano@win.eastlink.ca writes:

<< Hi Dave,

Take the ser. # and check with Yamaha, it may still be in warranty. If so
they would probably supply new flanges.

Otherwise a set from Schaff #3809 is $32.83.

Although there was a rumour that they are no longer allowed to sell Yamaha
parts, because of the grey/ wet problem. I don't know how true that is.

If some broke the rest will break within a short time.

Fishing line or dial cord make an acceptable substitute. Determine the length
and get a suitable piece of dowel, wrap around for how many you need and
slice with a razor blade.

Make a jig a piece of wood with two nails the proper distance apart, put the
screw hole of the flange in one and wrap the cord around the other one,
gluing them in the previously cleaned slot where the rotten one was.

The butt flange cord is also available at Schaff #3843, it comes in 14 ft
lengths @ $1.28 ea.

Good luck.

Regards,

John M. Ross >>