Steinway B value

PNHISTIC1@AOL.COM PNHISTIC1@AOL.COM
Tue, 12 Feb 2002 00:24:30 EST

In a message dated 2/11/02 7:31:34 PM, tomtuner@mediaone.net writes:

<< Dear List,

    I've been asked to broker a !0 year old Walnut Steinway B. This piano has
been in a home with light use.

    In the past I've used the depreciation from replacement cost  schedule
found in Larry Fines book  and will run the numbers when I confirm price from
our local dealer.

     Is this the best method for fairly estimating value ? And what is the
usual  commision on big ticket pianos such as this.

    As alway's your collective responses appreciated.

    Tom Driscoll >>

Tom,

It's hard to "bluebook" a piano like this, in my opinion, because they are
such unique things.  Because upper end pianos like Steinways vary greatly in
quality and sound from one to the next, and the people who are likely to buy
them are discerning enough to understand the difference between a good one
and a not-so-good one, it's hard to establish a specific worth.  From my
retail experience, a Steinway "B" is worth what the market will bear, and
that is dependent on availablity, playability, sound, finish, and
dealer-seller cost.  Commission should be in the 8-10% range.  That could be
a really nice vacation!

Dave Stahl