Laminated Soundboard Ribs

Erwinspiano@AOL.COM Erwinspiano@AOL.COM
Tue, 12 Feb 2002 00:32:10 EST

.

> Subj:Re: Laminated Soundboard Ribs
> Date:2/11/2002 6:59:46 PM Pacific Standard Time
> From:<A HREF="mailto:mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com">mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com</A>
> To:<A HREF="mailto:pianotech@ptg.org">pianotech@ptg.org</A>
> Sent from the Internet
>
>    Terry

        Do you have too much time on your hands? Nahhhh.
         You seem to be asking the right questions lately so you can't be
gettin any sleep.
        Laminated any thing is usually stiffer. Sounboard ribs are no
different. I have and am currently experimenting with this ./ I have
installed laminated ribs on one board. One advantage to this I think is that
they can be stiffer without an increase in mass. Another is that it utilizes
otherwise unusable lumber. I make these in my neumatic press which eliminates
cutting the crown into them as they are preformed to a 60 ft. radius. It's
very slick ,kind of messy. So far I'm just using three laminations and have
only used them on the longer ribs say 7 of 12 ribs.  I'm not sure if the
treble ribs really need it as they are already stiffer than the original ribs
by virtue of there machined in crown. And the stiffness is increasing as they
get shorter and shorter and are glued to narrower parts of the board which is
also increasing stiffness. And if you use spruce over sugar pine yet stiffer
ribs result. I personally like tight grain sugar pine in the top.
     As you get further into this you'll realize that a key question that
you'll need to answer is how stiff is stiff enough when were talking about
sound board stiffness and its benifits to tone. I personally don't know.but
obviously the trebles of old compression crowned boards were not stiff enough
at least not long term.
   I find it highly likely that a compression crowned board with little
compression to start with  loses most of its stiffness and hence most of its
vitality within 10 or 20 years. Shocking ehh?
   As to the cutting thru the grain thing. If you just take out an old
soundboard and cut it into strips cleanoff the varnish and glue them up
you've got yourself a quarter sawn rib. Yeah why not?
  Can't help with the Weber serial no. Happy Hunting