Great tech tip. was Re: loose/tight flanges

Dave Nereson dnereson@dimensional.com
Tue, 12 Feb 2002 00:36:01 -0700

  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Wimblees@AOL.COM=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Friday, February 08, 2002 1:46 PM
  Subject: Great tech tip. was Re: loose/tight flanges

  In a message dated 2/7/02 5:33:50 PM Central Standard Time, David =
Skolnik writes:=20

    Wim -=20
    I often use my Apsco upright action cradle (removing # 1 & # 88 =
wippins), clamping the top action and rotating it, first so that the =
hammers swing clear without contacting reps.  You can immediately pick =
out suspect (tight or loose) pinning.  By taking off and measuring (by =
feel, gauge, or swings) a few, you know how to interpret the way the =
rest appear swinging on the frame.  This method works well unless the =
shank traveling is poor.=20

    Wim,=20
    The easiest way I have come up with is to take the top stack off and =
put it=20
    in the Upright Action Cradle. Turn it upside down and swing away. =
Hope this=20
    helps.=20
    Best Regards,=20
    Joe Garrett, RPT, (Oregon)=20

       =20
        Yes, or you can unscrew the hammer rail and hang it on (screw it =
to) a homemade stand.  I use two pieces of 1 x 4 about a foot long, =
standing vertically.  One screws to the left side of my bench.  The =
other has a foot, or base on it so it can stand by itself on the bench =
(not all hammer rails are exactly the same length).  I unscrew the =
hammer rail and fasten one end to the fixed upright 1 x 4 with a wood =
screw into a pre-drilled hole.  Then I screw the other end of the rail =
to the movable stand, and clamp the stand's base to the bench.  Hammers =
are swinging upside down, the flange screws facing me.  I can lift =
handfuls of hammers at a time, drop them and let them swing, and see =
which ones are too tight or too loose.  The stand is sturdy enough and =
hammer rails are stiff enough that I can unscrew and screw hammer =
flanges/shanks either by hand or with a cordless screwdriver.   =
Disadvantage: paper shims with no adhesive, previously placed by the =
factory or other technicians, will just fall off when removing flanges.  =
The traveling I do with the rail back on the stack, however.   --Dave =
Nereson, RPT, Denver

  =20