Steinway B value

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Tue, 12 Feb 2002 09:07:51 EST

In a message dated 2/12/02 3:04:46 AM !!!First Boot!!!, tomtuner@mediaone.net
writes:

> Dear List,
>     I've been asked to broker a !0 year old Walnut Steinway B. This piano
> has been in a home with light use.
>     In the past I've used the depreciation from replacement cost  schedule
> found in Larry Fines book  and will run the numbers when I confirm price
> from our local dealer.
>      Is this the best method for fairly estimating value ? And what is the
> usual  commision on big ticket pianos such as this.
>     As alway's your collective responses appreciated.
>     Tom Driscoll

Tom

The local dealer will give the going price for 10 year old B's. (should be
around $30,000). But remember, he will be able to get a lot more for the
piano in his show room, and he will undervalue it to buy from the owner. So
you have to sort of play with the numbers.

You should get at least a 5% commission for brokering a piano. Be sure to get
it in writing, though. Not just the 5%, but also when you're supposed to get
the check. etc.  You might also write down how and when you can show the
piano. The more you can get in writing, the better, so there will be no
surprises. Include you will get an appraising fee if they sell it to someone
you didn't bring in.

Wim