Laminated Ribs

Joseph Garrett joegarrett@earthlink.net
Wed, 13 Feb 2002 09:27:29 -0800

I think that, if the rib is laminated in a cull of the proper curvature,
then the rib will hold that curvature better, although it is no "stiffer"
than a plain rib. It's resistance to straightening will be greater, but the
mass will be the same. My expertise also comes from boat building. However,
hydroplanes was my mania. The "stressed" skin construction and laminated
ribs was a favorite of these high stress rockets. Correct me if I'm wrong,
but isn't our main objective with the rib to maintain the
curvature/counter-tension against the downbearing of the strings? Just my
view of the whole mess. <G>
Regards,
Joe Garrett, RPT, (Oregon)