Twist and Shout

Z! Reinhardt diskladame@provide.net
Wed, 13 Feb 2002 12:34:44 -0500

Hear the notes change pitch while the tuning pins twist!

Hear the technician shout endless streams of obscenities!

(And it's all happening at a church near you!)

Hi Everyone --

Yesterday was one of those days.  I was called in by a church to try to =
tune a piano that was notorious for not staying in tune.  What I found =
was all of the tuning pins standing so high in the pinblock that the =
bottoms of the coils were 10mm from the surface of the plate.  You read =
right -- 10mm, or 3/10 of an inch.  (Yes, I shot pictures of this, but I =
still have to get the film developed.  No, I didn't swear out loud, but =
it wouldn't surprise me if others before me had.)

Pin torque was all over the map.  Some pins turned smoothly and didn't =
pose serious problems in being set.  Others were murderously tight.  =
Only one was bordering on loose.  What I'm wondering is, will pounding =
these pins to a proper height help bring about some sort of uniformity =
of torque or will it make the tight ones tighter still?

Concerning the tight pins -- does anyone know of any cute tricks for =
slightly easing that tightness?  I'm going to work on getting =
authorization to do the pin-pounding job, and I'd like to be able to =
leave some semblence of consistency of pin torque when I'm done.

Any insights would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you.
Z! Reinhardt  RPT
Ann Arbor  MI
diskladame@provide.net