Twist and Shout

Phillip L Ford fordpiano@lycos.com
Wed, 13 Feb 2002 22:23:05 0000

On Wed, 13 Feb 2002 14:16:43
 Wimblees wrote:
>In a message dated 2/13/02 11:43:35 AM Central Standard Time,
>diskladame@provide.net writes:
>

>> Pin torque was all over the map.  Some pins turned smoothly and didn't pose
>> serious problems in being set.  Others were murderously tight.  Only one
>> was bordering on loose.  What I'm wondering is, will pounding these pins to
>> a proper height help bring about some sort of uniformity of torque or will
>> it make the tight ones tighter still?
>

>It will make the tight ones tighter. There is not much that can be done to
>change the torque of a pin, unless you remove it, and ream the hole, (or go a
>pin size up if it is too loose.
>

>> Concerning the tight pins -- does anyone know of any cute tricks for
>> slightly easing that tightness?

I'm not sure about not changing the torque of a pin.  Have you noticed that the
torque on the pin will be different if you turn it most of the way in rather than
driving it in?  It's been my observation that if you turn a pin out several turns
and turn it back in it will have lower torque.  Is that just me?  I'd assumed that
the rifling on the pin was working on the pinblock wood and changing the torque
a bit.  I've noticed on some pinblocks a reduction in torque just from working the
pin back and forth vigorously (this keeps you from having to take the coil off the
pin - let down the tension somewhat and then cycle the pin back and forth
vigorously say 90 degrees or so).  I've never noticed any ill effects from this.
Anyone else?

Phil F

Go Get It!
Send FREE Valentine eCards with Lycos Greetings
http://greetings.lycos.com