Voicing Tool Recommendation

Kevin E. Ramsey ramsey@extremezone.com
Wed, 13 Feb 2002 19:09:00 -0700

    Terry, I have several voicing tools in my bag. I know the one you're =
talking about though,,, the one we use for most deep shoulder needling. =
I have two really. One, I got from a tuner who was going retiring. Not =
much help there, so I'll describe it. It's pretty big, but it fits the =
hand. It's wood, and I put the back end part of it on a disc sander to =
get a nice flat surface for resetting the felt. Right now, it has two =
needles in it, which are of the smaller size (#6 or 7). It's not quite =
as heavy as the Yamaha tool, which I just had to go out and buy. I have =
two needles in that one which are rather big, like small darning =
needles. I use that one for the larger hammers in the bass and tenor. =
I've got a dremel tool ( You have to buy the special little chucks for =
needles) and used it for a while, but returned to more traditional =
methods. I use the dremel now more for side needling on uprights.  I =
have a smaller voicing tool with a three position head which I use to do =
the work right up near the crown with a single needle, (#5). =
Sugarcoating tools (2). My bamboo thingee I bought from pianotek. When I =
get done writing this, I'm going to check out that tool that Phil Ford =
wrote about. Hey, you can never have too many tools, right?
    Probably the best thing you could buy right now is the Yamaha tool. =
It's heavy enough that you can really get in there and do the shoulder =
needling you should be doing, without having it be such a job that you =
don't want to do it. Deep shoulder needling improves the sustain, I have =
found, and you just have to go ahead and do it, IMHO.

  ----- Original Message -----=20