hi pressure pressure bar

Clyde Hollinger cedel@supernet.com
Thu, 14 Feb 2002 07:44:57 -0500

Tom,

I'm really sorry this happened to you.  I'm really really glad it didn't happen
to me.  My paranoia over breaking strings has subsided a little, but anything
breaking in that midrange makes me break out in a sweat, especially if it's a
spinet where removing the action will mean installing a new set of rubber
grommets, too!  (I have learned to replace broken strings in a spinet without
removing the action, if I have to, but it's not a picnic either way.)

I'm trying to visualize your situation.  I never ran into a pressure bar quite
that tight.  First, a caution that it may be difficult to loosen that pressure
bar screw with all the tension it's under.  Also, you may not be able to tighten
it again without letting down the tension of neighboring strings.  If the screw
gets stressed too much it could break, after which you might need medication for
depression.

Depending on how close together the pressure bar screws are, you may even have to
loosen the next one or two a little.  You don't want to risk cracking the
pressure bar, although I don't know how likely that is to happen.

I would encourage taking your time, go to a little more bother than you might
otherwise to make the job as easy as you can.  When you have the new string in,
tighten down the pressure bar just enough to get a decent tone in that area.  It
is a Kimball, after all.

Regards,
Clyde Hollinger