hi pressure pressure bar

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Thu, 14 Feb 2002 07:52:11 -0500

I tuned a Kimball console (!#%&*$#@%^&!!!) Tuesday night. I broke a =
string in the low tenor (about B3 or C4 as I recall) "at the becket, =
which surprised me since the piano was not that flat." I did not notice =
the pressure bar being unusually tight. The old string came out and the =
new one went in OK. I did "have the tool with me (that tube thing from =
APSCO, whatever it's called) to insert the new string in place." =
However, I did not have any little clips or little vice grips to anchor =
onto the hitch pin to keep the $*&%#&^ little string on the hitch pin - =
so after each time it would pop off the hitch and curl up to somewhere =
behind the keybed, I had to fish it around with various tools to put it =
back in place. I would try different tools each time this opportunity =
presented itself because the last try was not very successful.

Regarding your thoughts on loosening the pressure bar - if you are quite =
sure the bar is too close to the plate, I would certainly do it. I have =
done it before trying to correct funky odd sounds (not successfully I =
might add). The screws will generally be quite tight. It's easier if you =
let down the tension in the area - however, if you are only trying to =
loosen them, I guess it would be OK to do it at full tension. Yes, you =
are right that area of the scale will go flat, but we can correct that =
easy enough. And lastly, whereas I'm sure there is some optimal position =
for this bar, I find it hard to imagine degrading the tone of a Kimball =
console - if it does for some reason, things are totally reversible - =
keep a record of exactly how many turns you give each screw so that you =
can put it all back if necessary.

Good Luck.

Terry Farrell
 =20