Tuning question

MBailey911@AOL.COM MBailey911@AOL.COM
Thu, 14 Feb 2002 14:52:56 EST

List,

I normally love working on Yamahas, but I've run across a few Yamaha G series
grands recently - 1 older G3, a couple newer GA1s (< 1year) - that feel
really strange to tune - feels more like tuning a rubber band than piano
wire.  Difficult to stabilize and get clean unisons.  The pins have all felt
a little loose, and tended to move jerkily.  The older one was definately the
worst, but the new ones didn't feel like they would be too far behind.  On
the older one, pounding the pins in further came to mind as an option, but
seems premature on the new ones.

Have any of you encountered similar?  Any advice on tuning, explanations
about what might be different about them, and/or recommendations about
possible remedies?

Thanks,
Mary Bailey