impact hammer technique tips?

Ken Jankura kenrpt@earthlink.net
Thu, 14 Feb 2002 20:38:51 -0500

Tom,
   I was in a bar playing music a month or so ago, and some guy found out I
was a tuner and asked me if I wanted to buy a wrench thing for tuning pianos
that he had gotten in a box lot at a public auction. When he said that it
had this big brass weight on one end I said I might be interested. He lived
one block from the bar so he left and brought back a beautiful Rolls Impact
which he sold to me for $20. I have been using it ever since and I like it.
(Sorry, I just had to tell that story). I had purchased a Schaff adjustable
years ago and never quite got the hang of it. But I am convinced correct use
of an impact lever is much easier on the body and mine (body that is) gives
me trouble sometimes so I am determined to use it.
  Paul Adams and Mitch Keil have given classes on impact lever use and you
would do well to catch either of their classes.
  The main thing is to hold it at the swivel point and 'throw' it to move
the pin. Don't subject your arm (elbow, shoulder, etc.) to the jolt of
impact. Let the tool do the work. A practiced small wrist movement and you'd
be surprised how little actual physical exertion is necessary to tune a
piano.
  That being said, really tight pins sometimes necessitate that you hold it
somewhere along the length or the end to help do the work.
   I use a SAT so my test blows tell me immediately whether the pin has
moved and stabilized or whether I need to tune sharp and impact it down. I
generally go sharp.
  With both very loose or very tight pins, you will find it easier to use
your old lever.
  Great info in the 4/01 Journal by Keith Bowman.

Ken Jankura, RPT
(new home)Fayetteville, PA