graphite

Dave Nereson dnereson@dimensional.com
Wed, 13 Feb 2002 18:15:28 -0700

    On this graphite thing -- everybody talks about it like it's anthrax or
something, but I don't find the stuff all that offensive.  Not powdered
graphite, anyhow.  Graphite grease, yes -- that stuff is nasty because it
collects dust and gums up, slowing things down, rather than lubricating.
Technicians used it quite a bit in decades past and is now a no-no.  (I
think that's the most commonly found gunk in repetition lever spring slots
of older grands).
    But the powdered graphite I don't see as all that bad a substance, other
than being difficult to wipe off your fingers.  Isn't that what piano
manufacturers used to put on the tops and tenders of jacks, on top of
repetition levers, on sliding surfaces like the hardwood plugs under the
glide bolts of grand actions and on the side of the action frame where it
contacts the shift return spring,  and sometimes on dags and the back edge
of the back rail, and in certain spring grooves, and sometimes on sliding
surfaces of wooden trapwork levers, etc.??
    I don't use it much, except occasionally under the glide bolts if they
squeak when using the soft pedal (una corda).  And on upright damper levers,
I'll pop the spring out, polish it, brush the felt clean with a toothbrush,
then lube the slot with pencil lead, which is essentially graphite, I
believe.  I mean, as long as it's not graphite grease, and you don't lick
your fingers to dispose of the excess, what's wrong with
    --David Nereson, RPT, Denver