information for a dissertation

Clyde Hollinger cedel@supernet.com
Fri, 15 Feb 2002 07:14:27 -0500

Gary,

I would make it very clear that anyone using a piano in a non-standard
performance will be responsible for any damage the performance might cause
to the piano, even little things like marks on the finish that can be caused
by some types of tympani sticks.  Some have hard balls on the ends rather
than soft.  They must also agree to remove all sticky-notes, etc., from the
piano at the conclusion.  Even a signed agreement, along with the monetary
cost if damage occurs, seems like a good idea.

One has to know where to draw the line.  I'm sure it would make an
interesting sound, and a shock-value impression, to strike the plate with a
sledge hammer while holding down the sustain pedal.  I'm equally sure none
of us would permit anything like that.  There are limits, my friends.

Regards,
Clyde