Pics Pythagorean, Meantone

Jason Kanter jkanter@rollingball.com
Fri, 15 Feb 2002 07:14:19 -0800

Here are two very interesting shots. You can see from these why people kept
being unhappy with the tuning system.

The 14th Century Pythagorean is clearly designed to have pure fifths, so ten
of the twelve fifths are zero. The price for this is that the EB fifth is 15
cents narrow (compared to the ET contraction of 2 cents). There are three
varieties of thirds:  four at +6.8 cents, four at +12.8 cents, and four at
+21.5 cents (ET uses 13.7 cents).

The 1799 Meantone is clearly designed to have the fifths and thirds match
each other. For the major triads on C, G, D, A, D#, A#, and F, the fifths
are at -4.3 cents and the thirds are at +4.3 cents. (This is cents, not beat
rates, so I'm not sure if they beat the same ... more Excel work to come...)
The price for this is that three of the thirds are stretched to over 30
cents and must be unusable, and two of the fifths are actually *expanded* to
+8 cents and +11 cents respectively.

|| ||| || ||| || ||| || ||| || ||| || ||| || ||| || |||
jason kanter * piano tuning * piano teaching
bellevue, wa * 425 562 4127 * cell 425 831 1561
orcas island * 360 376 2799
|| ||| || ||| || ||| || ||| || ||| || ||| || ||| || |||

A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: not available
Type: image/gif
Size: 12597 bytes