information for a dissertation

Charles Neuman piano@charlesneuman.net
Fri, 15 Feb 2002 11:06:14 -0500 (Eastern Standard Time)

Charles E Faulk <cfaulk2@juno.com> wrote:
> In the same vein, if Cage is being performed a lot this year, I hope
> there will be many performances of his masterpiece, "11minutes, 33
> seconds". A little humor, maybe?

Should the artist bring his or her own piano for that performance? :)

Seriously though, as a pianist who likes this kind of music and who is
also learning to tune and repair pianos, I am interested in this subject.
I think it would be great if someone could put together a publication or
website that would explain some of the issues involved. For example, would
plastic or teflon screws be better for the strings than metal? And would
it be possible to strum the strings in a performance if a technician was
on hand to clean the strings afterwards? It would be nice if this kind of
music could be performed safely on nice instruments. As for cymbals
crashing on the strings and the like, I agree there's a limit and that
artists should be told to bring their own instruments in such cases.

Charles