graphite

Fri, 15 Feb 2002 07:55:01 -0800

----- Original Message -----
From: "Dave Nereson" <dnereson@dimensional.com>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: February 13, 2002 5:15 PM
Subject: graphite

>     On this graphite thing -- everybody talks about it like it's anthrax
or
> something, but I don't find the stuff all that offensive.  Not powdered
> graphite, anyhow.

Depends on where it's used. As you say, other than being messy it doesn't
cause much harm and can often do some good. When applied to action center
cloth and used in action centers, however, it is the source of many
problems. I've seen new shanks (using graphite in their centers) freeze up
so badly physical force with a screwdriver through the strings was required
to return the hammers to rest.

Treating action centers with graphite is not done often by technicians but
it is by the factories making the actions. As may be, it doesn't matter how
the graphite ends up in the action center, once there it's all to likely to
cause problems down the road. That applies to damper guide rail bushings as
well.

Del