Graphite

Joseph Garrett joegarrett@earthlink.net
Fri, 15 Feb 2002 09:52:10 -0800

Graphite is a type of stone/rock/metal. When we use graphite we usually put
it on something that moves. This is the problem, (not-withstanding that it's
messy to use). If there is sufficient pressure on the two parts, that are in
a "friction" state, the graphite transfers to the other surface. Hence you
now have rock rubbing against rock! It will squeak/groan or what ever,
because the friction is high between the two surfaces. This is OLDE
technology, that is well passed it's time. There are far better things to
use for REDUCING friction. Let's get into, at least, the 20th century!
Having been in this business for 30 years, I have found very few
applications where graphite was the ultimate answer to the problem. The only
one that comes to mind, is bridge caps. And, even this, is, IMHO, more
cosmetic, (we expect to see it), rather than friction reduction for the
bearing surface of the bridge/wire. Just my take on that stuff.
Regards,
Joe Garrett, RPT, (Oregon)